Bucket-chain excavators (BCEs) are continuous mining machines with the ability to remove coal, ash, chalk or overburden significantly below the bench or travel level.
BCEs are particularly well-suited to applications where there is significant ground instability or high ground water levels. In fact, even submerged bucket-chain operation is also possible.
Our machines are all specifically designed to our client's requirements and incorporate various solutions according to their specific application. We are able to supply a wide-range of machines with capacities up to 14,500 m³/h, which are able to work in high and deep cut operations and with varying depths and heights.
The principal components of a BCE are the bucket ladder with a bucket-chain, the bucket chute, the fixed or slewable superstructure with counterweight boom and the substructure with rail or crawler-mounted undercarriage. Material is transferred to a bench conveyor via a discharge boom or mobile conveyor bridge or directly to the conveyor. Our excavator design hence always aims to meet specific demands and requirements of the project in terms of optimization, standardization and maintenance.
BCEs can work either in bench or block operations. In bench operations, the BCE travels on rail or crawlers rectangular to the direction of pit advance along the slope face. In block operations, a crawler-mounted machine with a slewable superstructure works in high or deep cut mode and feeds the bench conveyor via a slewable discharge boom.
TAKRAF has a long tradition in delivering BCEs for specific material conditions (overburden, coal and ash) and is the only supplier of large BCEs for global mining applications. The largest BCE ever built is a TAKRAF Es 3750 with a maximum capacity of 14,500 m³/h and a cutting depth of 31 m and height of 34 m.
- Wide-range of machine capacities from 200 m3/h to 16,000 m3/h
- In most instances, the machine is connected to a belt conveyor system or a cross-pit spreader transferring material directly to the waste dump or material stockpile
- Our equipment has proven to be reliable and robust in the most extreme geological conditions, from temperatures reaching -45 C to altitudes of above 5,000 m
- We have been producing excavators since 1926 with an extensive reference list spanning all continents and many commodities
- Reduced noise emissions through continuous development and improvement of proprietary TAKRAF gearboxes.
- Use of cutting-edge materials for bearings and lifetime lubricated components reduces the consumption of mineral and synthetic lubricants by 25%
- Innovative wheel boom design features a combination of full-web and framework structures. This design enhances the torsional stiffness of the structure and minimizes its susceptibility to oscillation
Download Open Cast Mining Brochure
Customer Project name Bucket chain excavator ERs 500 NEK, Bulgaria Thermal power plant Maritza-East 2000
Excavator at the thermal power plant Maritza-East
The bucket chain excavator ERs 500 is a crawler-mounted machine with low ground pressure for operation in an ash deposit of a thermal power plant. Further features are:
- Ash excavating in block operation and deep cut mode
- Dedusting system
1,300 lm³/h 1,650 lm³/h Ash 5 m 11.5 m 160 kW 28 500 l 44 min-1 1.17 m/s 24 m 76 kPa Customer Project name Bucket chain excavator ERs (K) 800 SUEK, Russia Open-cast mine Nazarovo 1994
Excavator in open-cast mine Nazarovo
The machine is equipped with 6 crawlers for operation in a Siberian coal mine. Further features of this special design include:
- Working in block mode with 3-part bucket ladder for deep and high cut operation
- High specific digging force with 630 kW installed power at the bucket chain drive for excavating hard coal in winter conditions
- Special design for mechanical and electrical parts for operation in a region with temperatures down to minus 40° C
1,400 lm3/h 2,250 lm3/h hard coal 19 m 16 m 23.5 m 630 kW 36 800 l 29.2 min-1 1.22 m/s 35 m 100 kPa
TAKRAF at Mauritanides 2018
Mauritanides is the largest biennial mining & energy conference and exhibition for companies that are active in the Mining and Oil & Gas industry in...
Two TAKRAF Sizers for an Important Project
The Bosnia-Herzegovina-based company, RMU Banovici d.d., is expanding the overburden handling capacity at one of its mines by installing two...
Successful Commissioning of Two DELKOR APIC Jigs
As of mid-September 2018, the two DELKOR APIC Jigs, supplied by DELKOR earlier in the year, were successfully commissioned at an iron ore...
Questions? Enquiries? Ideas? Get in touch with us!Read More